I want to see how quickly I can write an update since I need to call in my snow children very soon or else they will be frozen children!
We are nearing the end of a very legitimate blizzard. The last real blizzard we’ve had was back in South Dakota the day after Easter, 2006. I believe we’ve actually more snow here in PA than we did back then! We have more than 2 feet and it’s still snowing super hard – and is supposed to continue for a few more hours yet! The wind is beginning to pick up and school is already canceled for tomorrow.
Brian went out before 9 this morning to begin clearing off our porches and get the tractor out. By law, we have to have the MRF road clear in case of a fire emergency. But, it’s taken Brian and Don literally all day and they still have not finished the road. The snow has come down so fast and hard, plus there’s a layer of ice underneath, so they keep sliding around! Brian was home three times – twice just to swap clothes in and out of the dryer and once for a quick lunch. He’ll need to stop soon with the sun going down, but they’re hoping to have the bulk of it done by then.
The kids think this is glorious! And I don’t blame them! They got a little nervous this morning, though, as it was coming down pretty fast and hard and Big J kept getting stuck. This afternoon, our neighbors are out with them, building forts and igloos and pulling Big J out when he can’t move anymore! They’re having a blast and I hate to end it, but E was just inside for a minute and she is RED and so, so cold and wet. I think I’d be a bad mom if I let them stay out much longer…
Here’s a brief family update in the interim:
- Training at the Chinese church on Saturday went very well. We were told to plan on 25-30 and we had 35-40 trainees. Very attentive, so welcoming and considerate. It was a joy to teach them and see the grasp concepts and plan to put them into practice. Had some great conversations afterwards and am looking forward to returning next year, Lord willing.
- I have been struggling with a cold/cough for three weeks now and it’s finally got out of control on Friday. There was really nothing I could do about it by then, so I got a bunch of cough medicine and powered through Saturday. By Sunday evening, though, I was pretty sure I was getting Influenza A because I was so sick and run down. I dragged myself to urgent care Monday morning and was told I didn’t have the flu, but I needed to rest (she even offered a doctor’s note if I thought I needed it, so I guess she was serious…) and she got me some stronger medication. So far, the only difference has been no fever. I’m pretty wiped and ready for bed, but that can’t happen for a while yet, so I’ll hang on a bit longer! Brian’s coughing too; praying he doesn’t get as bad as I did!
- Brian has the one bathroom down to the studs and has purchased a new cast iron tub for in there. It has a ways to go, but it’s going to look much better. All of that is on hiatus during this blizzard, though.
- The printed BCM World should be off to the printers any day now. Final edits are happening and whenever Brian can take a breath from all this snow, he’ll do the updates and it’ll be ready to go! Phew.
- My article is off to the editor for the e-zine, which Brian will begin, again, after this storm! There’s just not enough hours in the day…
- The 25th is our church’s training day so now that I’m done with NJ, I can really finish up prep for ours.
That’s pretty much life in a nutshell! Okay – off to call in the snow children and figure out what in the world to feed them… Stay safe & warm!