Well, November flew by. Did it go this fast for you?!
This past week we…
- Went back to work – Lisa is trying to keep her kids focused for one more week of school and Brian is trying to make a house liveable by Christmas for some co-workers of ours.
- Had a wedding here at camp – kind of more like a vow renewal. A couple has been married for 10 years, but they never had the official religious ceremony. Here in Peru, you have two ceremonies – the legal and the religious. They couldn’t afford the religious 10 years ago, or even rings. So, Cilimar (the groom) re-proposed to Kety about a month ago and surprised her with the plan of a religious ceremony here on campus – complete with attendants, a dress, – the whole nine. It was beautiful! (Internet is just not working well enough to upload pictures, so stay tuned for those this weekend!)
- Got our Christmas tree up and decorated! It looks very nice, if I do say so myself. We’ve decided to try to make our own tree topper this year and are heading out to the market tomorrow to find stuff to do so.
- Babysat our beautiful Cielo for an entire day — something we wish could be more permanent, but just isn’t possible at the moment.
- Dealt with our pesky colds, but we finally both got a full night’s sleep Thursday! Phew. Maybe the worse is past?
- Helped set up for the Family Fair, which is this coming Tuesday!!
- Had our first scare with a family emergency — Lisa’s mom was hospitalized this week and being so far away, it took awhile to find out what was going on. She’s fine and home and everything seems to be okay, but still – it was hard on Lisa being so far away and not being able to just run to the hospital to be with her mom.
This weekend, we’re helping continue to get things ready for the Fair. Tuesday is a national holiday here in Peru, which is why we have the Fair on December 8 every year. The average attendance is 700 people! We have a yard sale, food, all sorts of fun fair-like games, a show, puppets, music, the Gospel message, clowns… crazy busy-ness! PLEASE be in prayer for this day! It’s one of the biggest outreaches of the year (the other being Christmas Compartiendos that begin Sunday the 13th). But, there are SO many details, not the least of which is making sure 100+ people are doing the jobs they’re supposed to! Brian will be helping with the game area; I’ll be in the concession stand (alone! ahh!! in Spanish!!) and helping in the yard sale. We start at 8:30am Tuesday and will finish around 9pm – after an evening of giving thanks to the Lord for all He will have done Tuesday.
More to come!