Life is no longer boring!

We wanted to share with you how our last couple of days have gone, in case you were interested. 🙂
The week we got back from Iquitos, we had a slight tremor overnight. We never felt it, slept right through it actually, but everybody else did. Oops. Anyway, the next day we noticed that both our sinks were leaking. The one in the bathroom was leaking substantially. A few days later, the toilet started acting funny. And then, well, it started having issues. Last Friday, Brian and another man spent all afternoon working on it and yup, the pipe broke off in the wall and what was supposed to be a small fix turned into a 4-hour project (that still isn’t completely done, but we’re living with it).
The second problem occurred last night. We have this really old fridge that’s been making the lights dim when it kicks on lately. Granted, a lot of things make the lights dim, so we hadn’t been too worried. But, last night, it made a loud pop..we didn’t pay any attention to that, either. However…about a half hour later we heard a very loud BANG – look over to the fridge and see sparks and then FLAMES coming out from behind the fridge!! Yup, the plug had shorted out and caught on fire. Brian pulled everything away from it (including our washing machine that’s covered in a cloth) and yanked the cord out of the wall. Thankfully, the fire did not spread and Brian and one of the other men were able to get the cord fixed, so our fridge works just fine. But, little scary! We are nowhere near a fire department, so Brian and the other two men on his maintenance team ARE the firemen. Fun.

fire1

So, just a little taste of life here. 🙂 This picture is of one of my English students holding up what WAS the cord.

Advertisements

Published by

Brian & Lisa

We are missionaries with Bible Centered Ministries International, living and serving in NEPA.

One thought on “Life is no longer boring!”

  1. Wow! You guys sure are encountering some interesting experiences! The only thing remotely similar that happened within the first few weeks of my arrival to Portugal in August 2003 was that a lot of smoke blew into Lisbon from wildfire. Wildfires are a concern here, but all I knew what that within 5 minutes my apartment had filled with smoke. Not speaking Portuguese, it was a bit scary.

    I enjoy reading your blog as it reminds me of what it was like to first arrive. Smiles, Kris http://www.teamportugal.blogspot.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s